When it comes time to choose between a balcony or terrace, many people don’t know which is the right fit for their home. Both have their own unique benefits and drawbacks, so it can be difficult to decide which is best for you. In this blog post, we will discuss the significant differences between balconies and terraces, so that you can make an informed decision about which one is right for your needs!
What Is A Balcony?
A balcony is a type of outside deck that is attached to a building. It’s a type of platform that projects from the wall of an apartment building, typically acting as a roof or floor. Balconies are typically enclosed by a balustrade.
Balconies allow the occupants to access the outside world without leaving their home and provide extra upper floor space.
Typical Balcony Characteristics
- Balconies are usually quite small, about 3-5 feet wide
- Balconies are accessed through a door in the apartment, flat, or unit
- Balconies can be used for storage or as an outdoor living space
- Balconies are normally located on the exterior of the building
- Most balconies are constructed from wood or concrete with metal or wooden railings
Benefits Of Living With A Balcony
Having a balcony is like having an extra room. They can provide extra space for plants, storage, or seating, often with room to have a barbecue. They also improve air quality by providing fresh air ventilation and increasing the value of your home.
Drawbacks Of Living With A Balcony
Balconies can be great, but they also have some drawbacks that you should be aware of. One potential danger of balconies is that they can be fragile and dangerous if they’re not properly maintained. They can also become extremely cold in the winter or hot in the summer, making them uncomfortable to use at certain times of the year.
How To Make The Most Of Your Balcony
While balconies serve an important purpose as outdoor areas, they are often underutilized. One reason for this is that many people are unsure of how to decorate or furnish a balcony. Another reason is that balconies can be difficult to access, especially if they are located on a higher floor.
However, with a little bit of creativity, any balcony can be turned into one of your home’s most beautiful and inviting spaces. Here are some tips for how to decorate and furnish your balcony:
- Look for furniture that can be folded or stored away when not in use. This will help maximize your space and keep your balcony looking uncluttered.
- Choose furniture that is lightweight and easy to move around. This will make it easier to rearrange your furniture when you want to change things up.
- Use potted plants to add color and life to your balcony. Plants can also help to create a more private space and are great opportunities for small gardens.
- Add some personal touches, such as artwork or photographs. These items will help make your balcony feel like home.
- Use outdoor rugs or cushions to make your balcony more comfortable. This will encourage you to spend more time outdoors enjoying the fresh air.
- In summer you can use your balcony to allow the cool air to move through your place after the sun has gone down. Even though a balcony feels secure, I would still ensure I had a lockable screen door before making use of this feature.
By following these tips, you can turn your balcony into a space that you love spending time in.
What Is A Terrace?
A terrace is a type of extra space in buildings that is open to the air on one or more sides. Quite often, they are a roof terrace, but they can also be located at ground level.
A terrace is a type of outdoor living space that is flat and usually paved. Terraces are common in Europe, especially in urban areas. A terrace can be private or public, and they are often a rooftop terrace open to the stars.
A terrace can be any raised seating area in a garden or on a rooftop. An appropriate landscaped garden is most commonly created by improvising with an elevated surface, for example, timber beams or blocks of stone that allow plants to grow above ground level.
Is A Terrace Bigger Than A Balcony?
A terrace is typically bigger than a balcony because it is a flat roof or entirely open space with a railing or wall around it, typically used for dining, relaxation, or entertaining. A balcony is a platform extending from the wall of a building, typically above the ground floor.
The popularity of the townhouse-style house has given rise to the demand for generously-sized roof terraces off living rooms and kitchens. These provide open space for both relaxation and entertaining during good weather.
What To Think About When Designing A Terrace
When planning a terrace, it is important to consider the following:
- The size of the outdoor area space available
- The amount of sun or shade desired
- The type of soil present
- Whether the area is exposed to windy conditions
- What kind of plants and trees will be grown in the garden
- How much maintenance will be required? Weekly, monthly?
It is also worth noting that some local authorities have restrictions on what can be built in terms of height and materials used, so it is always best to check with your council before starting any construction work. With all that in mind, let’s take a look at some different types of terraces!
There are many different types of terraces, but the most common are wooden, stone, and concrete.
Wooden terraces are the easiest to build but require the most maintenance. Stone terraces are more difficult to build but require less maintenance. Concrete terraces are the most difficult to build but require no maintenance.
When choosing a material for your terrace, you should also consider the climate in which you live. If you live in an area with a lot of rain, you will want to choose a material that is not susceptible to rot or mold.
If you live in an area with a lot of sun, you will want to choose a material that is heat-resistant.
No matter what type of terrace you choose, remember to enjoy your time outdoors!
Typical Terrace Characteristics
- Terraces are usually much larger than balconies, ranging from 100-200 square feet
- Terraces can be located on the ground level or on the rooftop of a building
- Terraces are typically made from concrete, brick, stone, or tile
- Terraces may have plants, furniture, and other decorations
- Terraces typically have some type of railing or barrier to prevent people from falling off
Benefits Of Having A Terrace
Terraces provide occupants with a larger outdoor living space that can be used for multiple purposes such as entertaining, gardening, sunbathing, and more. Moreover, terraces tend to have better views than balconies since they are often located on the rooftop of a building.
Drawbacks Of Living With A Terrace
The main drawback of having a terrace is that it can be quite expensive to construct and maintain. In addition, terraces may require more upkeep than balconies since they are often made from materials such as concrete, brick, stone, or tile.
How To Make The Most Of Your Terrace
There are many things that you can do to make the most of your terrace. Some simple tips are to:
- Plant flowers or herbs in pots and place them on the terrace to add color and fragrance.
- Hang a hammock or set up a seating area to relax in.
- Place a dining table and chairs so you can enjoy meals outdoors.
- Hang brightly colored wind chimes or fairy lights to create a cheerful atmosphere.
- Use the terrace as a garden space, planting vegetables or flowers in containers.
- Install a sunshade or parasol to protect from the sun.
Balcony Vs Terrace: What’s The Difference?
A balcony and a terrace may seem like similar things, but there are some key differences between them.
Both a balcony and a terrace are typically areas of exterior space that are accessed from inside the building it belongs to, but the balcony may have direct access.
A terrace is often located at ground level, while balconies may be higher up in the building.
Balconies are small outdoor spaces, but they can offer stunning views of streets, the busy city, and mountainsides, making them perfect spots for people watching. Terraces often face pools or gardens and make you feel like you’re in nature – even if you’re not!
Terraces make small homes seem bigger by providing an outdoor “living room.” Balconies provide access to fresh air and often have an impressive view too.
With both balcony and terrace designs, there are plenty of opportunities for entertaining or just relaxing outside as a family. Terraces are larger than balconies and can be used for many different activities such as entertaining, gardening, sunbathing, and more.
Both balconies and terraces can be used for recreation or for storage.
Let’s take a closer look at the differences between balconies and terraces:
As we mentioned, terraces are typically located at ground level or on the roof, while balconies may be higher up in the building.
Balconies can offer stunning views of streets, cityscapes, and mountainsides, making them perfect spots for people watching. Terraces often face pools or gardens and make you feel like you’re in nature – even if you’re not!
Terrace designs make small homes seem bigger by providing an outdoor “living room.” Balconies are usually smaller, but they provide access to fresh air and often have an impressive view too.
With both balcony and terrace designs, there are plenty of opportunities for entertaining or just relaxing outside as a family.
Tips For Choosing Between A Balcony And Terrace For Your Home
If you are trying to decide between a terrace and a balcony for your home, there are several factors you should consider.
First, think about what activities you would like to use the space for. If you entertain often or enjoy gardening, then a terrace might be a better option since they tend to be larger and have better views.
However, if you are looking for a more private outdoor space or one that requires less upkeep, then a balcony might be the better choice. Ultimately, it is important to pick the option that best suits your needs and lifestyle.
Both balconies and terraces can be used for a variety of activities, but there are some key differences between the two. Balconies tend to offer better views than terraces but are smaller outdoor spaces. Terraces, on the other hand, make small homes seem bigger by providing outdoor living spaces. It is important to consider what you will use your balcony or terrace for before making a decision.